Among cancer therapies, chemotherapy drugs aim at destroying cancerous cells. This is obviously its intended outcome, however, as they do not act to selectively destroy cells, they also attack other cells, including skin, hair and nails. The effect of this can vary from one person to another depending on many factors. Nail problems that appear may be painful, and in some cases can even lead to infections which can become serious. Some of the more common problems include; breaking or splitting nails, developing ridges on the nail plate, irregular pigmentation, nail staining, white spots or swelling around the nails. To avoid this, it is important to take care of your nails.
WHAT CAN I DO TO TAKE CARE OF MY NAILS?
With less severe nail problems, cosmetic products may play a significant role in improving your well-being and nail appearance. However, in the more serious case of an infection, you must see a doctor and an appropriate medical treatment will be prescribed (antiseptics, antifungals, antibiotics).
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE PRODUCTS I SHOULD USE?
- For nails that are discoloured, MAVA-WHITE hides stained, dull nails, while giving them a natural and healthy look. When used under a nail polish, the shade does not change visually. Can't wear polish while undergoing a procedure? MAVA-WHITE may also be used without polish due to its matt finish.
- Badly ridged nails make it difficult to keep your polish long wearing and more susceptible to chips. RIDGE-FILLER evens out the ridges of the nail plate and gives a uniform and smooth nail surface.
- NAILACTAN is a cream composed of essential amino acids, lipids and kerato-balancing vitamins. Its nourishing and moisturizing action restores elasticity to the nail, improves its general condition and makes nails more resistant to splitting or breaking.
- For breaking and soft nails, try MAVALA SCIENTIFIQUE K+. By quickly hardening the nail, this allows soft, flaking or splitting nails to become healthy and strong. Its formula hardens the nail and restores normal growth. Use only on the tip of the nail.
- Nails that are hard, dry and therefore prone to breaking may be helped by the use of MAVA-FLEX. It creates an optimum moisture balance, to restore and maintain the nail's flexibility leaving healthy, flexible, shiny and soft nails.
- Developed for sensitive nails, BARRIER-BASE COAT is a water-based odourless base coat. It is a base coat to your polish that acts as a treatment by moisturising, prevents dehydration, splitting and breaking of nails and helps nails retain their flexibility while protecting and improving the adherence of nail polish. It also protects nails from yellowing and becoming dehydrated.
IS IT SAFE TO USE NAIL POLISH?
All of the MAVALA MINI COLORS nail polish range, are free from formaldehyde, toluene, phthalates, colophane, added nickel, parabens, to isolate nails from the daylight, but also to hide the coloration of the nail that is very likely to occur.
The HAUTE COUTURE collection is a specialised range containing silicon dioxide. The protecting effect of silicon dioxide also known as silica against the side effects of chemotherapy and other cancer therapies is not scientifically recognised yet. However, experience has shown that it can be effective.
WHERE CAN I GO FOR MORE INFORMATION?
For more information on how to address your nail and other beauty concerns during cancer therapy, please go to Mavala Cancer Therapy.